“Do you want fries with that?”
“Actually, I’ll just take the fries.”
It’s National French Fry Day, which means today you should skip the burgers, hot dogs and chicken sandwiches and just go straight for the greasy carb-loading. There are plenty of restaurants that have great fries — even a fancy French restaurant in Palm Beach — and we’d love to list them all, but we’re judging the fast-food and sandwich chains today.
Here are the top fast-food fries, ranked.
10. KFC. Their fries are thick and greasy, but maybe a little too greasy.
9. PDQ. We love the chicken tenders and fresh approach to food, but the fries are a little squishy.
8. Burger King. You go here for the burgers. They don’t call it “Home of The French Fry.” Though we really liked the Satisfries, while they lasted.
7. Checkers. A greasy, guilty, late-night-when-no-one-is-looking pleasure, if that’s not redundant.
6. McDonald’s. Their fries are always thin, crispy and hot. The saltier, the better.
5. Wendy’s. Their natural cut fries are thick and tasty. Secret ingredient: A sprinkling of sea salt.
4. BurgerFi. They win for best fry-related name — the Cry and Fry, thick fries paired with onion rings and special sauce. A meal in itself. (You can get free fries today with the purchase of The CEO Burger.)
3. Jon Smith Subs. Thin and crispy. They almost make you forget about the subs. Almost.
2. Chik-Fil-A. Two words: Waffle fries! (Try them with a little packet of hot sauce.)
And the winner is…
1. Five Guys. First off, they’re good, hot, and crispy. Second, they give you a MOUNTAIN of fries. Even if you get the small bag, they throw in an extra scoop. You want to make a meal out of French fries today? This is the place to go. (Don’t skip the side cup of malt vinegar, which adds to the carb high.)
What is your favorite fast-food French fry? Take our poll.
And did we leave off your favorite? Tell us.