Hurricane Matthew update: Check our WeatherPlus Blog for the latest or follow our Weather Reporter, Kim Miller on Twitter.
Don’t let Hurricane Matthew ruin the fun this week. If you and your friends don’t have plans yet, why not stay together and go throwback to elementary school with a sleepover? Not really kidding, but there’s more.
Here are my top picks to keep calm and have an awesome get-together slash hurricane party (if that’s how you and your fam get down).
1. Make all kinds of Pizza! #MamaMia
I’m talking meat lovers, veggie and even dessert. This is an activity that takes some time, is creative and interactive.
Ideas on what to buy:
- Pillsbury Pizza Crust. Pop it, place it in oven, enjoy a fresh crust. (Or spice up your pizza life by using garlic naan instead!)
- Sauces: Tomato sauce, Alfredo and Pesto.
- Veggies: Tomatoes, Mushrooms and green peppers.
- Meats: Pepperoni, sausage and ham.
- Dessert Pizzas: Nutella, Reese’s creamy peanut butter and Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter (my favorite). Bananas, Strawberries and whip cream.
2. Do it Yourself!
Just this past weekend, my friend and I were able to transform a crappy thrift shop coffee table into a stylish piece of art (or so we think). Take a look around your home, see what chandeliers, tables, stools or lamps you don’t like.
If you need some inspiration, then see your way to Pinterest. Just key in what items you’ve got and watch your phone screen fill up with awesome DIY magic.
Instead of spending money on new ones, go get some cheap supplies:
- Sandpaper (various grades)
- Wood paint (pick your favorite)
- Spray paint (choose between silver, gold or champagne to enhance your metals)
- Get some cardboard boxes to protect your floors or carpet from paint.
- Get a bag of random metals, coins and screws. (These could work as emblems and accents.)
- Superglue and wood glue.
3. Get your body fit!
So none of your friends or family members showed up to your sleepover? No worries. There are tons of free workout videos to keep you busy.
- Fitness Blender with instructors Kelly and Daniel has more than 500 free workout videos.
- FreeYoga has more than 7k subscribers and hundreds of hours of free videos.
- Jordan Yeho Fitness body weight workouts. Use your own extra pounds to get you in shape.
- Meal Prep can be annoying but not when you’re stuck at home, doing nothing.
- FitLifeTV’s healthy juicing ideas are great to keep you busy and lean.
4. What if the power goes out?
Not to worry, my friend. Make sure you get your hands on the best board and App games to share some laughs. Remember, your iPhone also has a flashlight.
- UNO: Ironically, you can’t play this one alone. Start making some calls.
- Guess who? Remember to mismatch the blue and red cards — it just looks better.
- Cards against Humanity: Let your inner jerk come out.
- Twister: Make sure everyone showers before this one.
- Clue: This is an awesome mind-thrilling game that can make time go by fast.
- Taboo: Have your partner guess your word!
- HeadsUp: It’s not because Ellen DeGeneres created this game, it’s actually awesome.
- Reverse charades: It’s the same classic game with an epic twist! You may want to record the craziness.
5. Embrace the storm.
Listen to our handpicked ‘Rain Playlist’ or sit down and catch up on some must-watch TV series. Click the links below: